gcc/gfortran can't find system library in latest Xcode/Mojave

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 10 22:42:48 UTC 2019

Hi,

Just to add one detail to that below. Part of the problem is Xcode 11 even on maOS10.14 only supplies the 10.15 SDK. gcc when built gets the SDK baked into the default search paths it will use, and because you are  (I presume) using gcc binary install it is using the one built on the buildbot which is still using Xcode 10 and thus the 10.14 SDK. If you want to see what gcc is doing, try building with the -v option added….

So, additional solutions, if you want to avoid having to manually set the SDK root as you use gcc, are :-

1. revert back to Xcode 10 on mac OS 10.14, to match the buildbot.
2. rebuild gcc/libgcc from source yourself, so then the SDK will (I think…) match what you now have.

I would go with 1. as that will likely fix other residual issues with Xcode 11 on mac OS 10.14..

cheers Chris

3. I guess a third option is to update you OS to 10.15….