problem with rsync

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Wed Sep 18 23:43:02 UTC 2019

> On 18 Sep 2019, at 8:00 pm, macports-users-request at lists.macports.org wrote:
>

> I just installed macports and when I first try to run selfupdate I get the
> following:
>
> MacBook-Pro-de-Joao:~ joaobatista$ sudo port -d selfupdate
>
> Password:
>
> DEBUG: Copying
> /Users/joaobatista/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to
> /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
>
> DEBUG: MacPorts sources location: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
>
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
>
> DEBUG: system: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after rsync://
> rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/base.tar
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
>
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
>
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
> /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52.200.1/rsync/clientserver.c(106)
> [receiver=2.6.9]
>
> Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after rsync://
> rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/base.tar
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs

I had this issue (long story:australia:nbn) my modem had the firewall turned ON
Turning it OFF fixed the problemi

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot would a NAT modem have a firewall? The RFCs clearly answer no. [1]
Spelunking: to stop infected windows machines calling OUT.

James

[1] even clued technical people gave me the wrong answer, so I explain:
BadGuy accesses your modem, which goes nowhere TheEnd
RFC stops a router forwarding private addresses
If you enable port forwarding you would not firewall the port

I need to think a bit but even with IPV6 and real addresses how is BadGuy going to access your machine unless you do the DNS bit