mpkg package variants

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Sep 29 13:47:20 UTC 2019

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 20:49, Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>

> I wonder how package variants are handled while creating `mpkg'
> bundles.  As an example, consider the output of
>
>   port rdeps lilypond-devel +mactex
>
> Looking at it you can see

>   ossp-uuid
>     perl5.26
>
> and

>   llvm-3.4
>     perl5
>       perl5.28
>
> The created `mpgk-packages' directory indeed contains both perl 5.26
> and 5.28.
>
> However, it is possible to install `ossp-uuid' as
>
>   port install ossp-uuid +perl5_28
>
> In other words, it would be possible to omit a dependency on
> `perl5.26' altogether.  What must I do to enforce this for `port
> mpkg'?  This would reduce the size of the bundle by approx 16MByte...

On my machine "port info ossp-uuid" says that default in 5.28 now, but
you might have installed it when 5.26 was still the default, so I'm
not quite sure what goes wrong here (does installing with 5.28 variant
help?).

By far the best bet would be to remove 5.26 from this port and all its
dependents (or all ports, for that matter).

We need some help finishing https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58361 (or
maybe even go straight to 5.30 :).

Mojca