Is SSL really a dependant of everything?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 08:39:54 UTC 2020

> On 6 Apr 2020, at 8:42 am, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2020, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> You should not routinely use the -p flag like this.
>
> I did that following advice on this list about a year ago, when some port ("guile"?) that I'd never even heard of would not build.
>
>> Do you mean openssl? or libressl? or something else?
>
> openssl-1.1.1f_0+universal.darwin_16.i386-x86_64

So from the above you can tell you are using the universal variant of the package.

Looking at

http://packages.macports.org/openssl/

you can see these variants used to be built by the buildbots and thus distributed in binary form, however this appears to have stopped for the more recent versions. This is why you had to build it from source, and likely why you are having to build a lot of dependencies from source.

Why this was done, intentionally or otherwise, I do not know.

Chris