How enable ftp to localhost wordpress site?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 21:29:52 UTC 2020

I have no plugins directory in my wordpress directory or its subdirectories.

Clearly wordpress WANTS the user to use ftp or, presumably equivalently for its purposes, sftp.

How do I set that up strictly locally, i.e., server running wordpress is localhost; files to be transmitted are on the same local Mac housing localhost.

> On 1 Aug2020, at 8:00 AM, macports-users-request at lists.macports.org wrote:
>
> From: "Bill Cole" <macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com <mailto:macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com>>
> To: "MacPorts Users" <macports-users at lists.macports.org <mailto:macports-users at lists.macports.org>>
> Subject: Re: How enable ftp to localhost wordpress site?
> On 31 Jul 2020, at 20:28, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> I?ve installed the MacPorts version of apache2 and have a working
>> localhost wordpress site running under apache2.
>>
>> How to I enable ftp with this, so that I can ftp into the wordpress
>> site? (This is so I can install WordPress plugins.)
>
> If it's running on 'localhost' then you don't need FTP, you can just
> copy the plugins' files to the WordPress tree
> (/opt/local/www/apache2/html/ or a subdirectory of that, depending on
> how you installed WordPress) directly. You may need to adjust ownership
> and/or permissions on that directory or use 'sudo cp' in a Terminal
> session to do the copying. WP plugins typically install in their own
> subdirectory trees under the 'plugins' subdirectory of the WordPress
> root.
>
>> Is there some particular MacPorts port I need to add? and then what do
>> I need to do so it?s available from within the wordpress site?
>>
>> (WordPress docs don?t deal with this! they just say to use ftp to
>> install the plugins.)
>
> Which is unfortunate, because FTP is a mess security-wise. While one CAN
> make it reasonably safe, doing so narrows the range of clients that work
> with any particular secure setup. If you end up with a WordPress site
> running on a remote system where you need a file transfer facility, you
> are better off using SFTP, which provides a FTP-like client interface
> without the backend that has been evolving organically since the `70s.
> SFTP is a subsystem of OpenSSH, so nearly any modern
> Unix/Linux/BSD/MacOS server that allows remote login supports SFTP by
> default.
>
> Bill Cole

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334