How enable ftp to localhost wordpress site?

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Aug 1 23:49:34 UTC 2020

On 1 Aug 2020, at 17:29, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I have no plugins directory in my wordpress directory or its
> subdirectories.

Sorry about that, the plugins directory is at [WordPress
Root]/wp-content/plugins

> Clearly wordpress WANTS the user to use ftp or, presumably
> equivalently for its purposes, sftp.

Doing a little research, I found that the reason WP sometimes asks for
ftp credentials is that it can't directly write to the plugins
directory. That usually means that it also can't write to any of
wp-content/, which is a problem that will break WP once you start using
it. The simplest fix, if your webserver is running as _www (default for
MacPorts' apache2) and you have WP installed at
/opt/local/www/apache2/html/wordpress/:

    chmod -R _www:admin
/opt/local/www/apache2/html/wordpress/wp-content

> How do I set that up strictly locally, i.e., server running wordpress
> is localhost; files to be transmitted are on the same local Mac
> housing localhost.

It MAY also work if you enable "Remote login" in System
Preferences->Sharing, which enables the built-in SSH daemon. You can
then *maybe* give WP the name and password of a macOS user with admin
rights.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org