apg still very useful, please don't deprecate

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 00:43:56 UTC 2020

Hi Josh,

Alas, I lack the skill set to maintain software myself, and I also have
time constraints.

I will look into these alternatives, but a cursory evaluation indicates
that makepasswd lacks phonetic pronounceability, mkpwd provides it but
without sufficient mixing of random characters, passogva is old and
possibly not maintained upstream, pwgen provides secure pronounceability
possibly at apg's level, secpwgen may also suffice, and sf-pwgen seems to
offer either pronounceability or randomness but not both like apg.

One alternative would be to generate a couple of thousand passwords with
apg, store them in an encrypted container, and draw from there when I need
one for inspiration (I never use a generated password verbatim). I also
keep an older Mac around offline to run deprecated software which is still
useful. What I like about apg today is I have it in any of my terminals
when I need it.

thanks

Sean