More old upgrade issues (was: Re: Libgcc: new version won't deactivate the old version)

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:19:51 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-04, at 6:24 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2020, at 02:58, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>> That particular message can only occur if you have not updated your ports in a very long time, as the change that made libgcc a stub port happened several years ago now.... If you don’t update regularly you can run into issues like this.
>>
>> In this case, just follow the instructions as given and force deactivate.

Well, I seem to have found more "long time" non-upgrade problems.
A "port reclaim" got rid of most of the problems. Most.

> bash-3.2# port upgrade outdated
> --->  Computing dependencies for curl
> --->  Fetching archive for curl
> --->  Attempting to fetch curl-7.73.0_1+ssl.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2 from https://ywg.ca.packages.macports.org/mirror/macports/packages/curl
> --->  Attempting to fetch curl-7.73.0_1+ssl.darwin_13.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from https://ywg.ca.packages.macports.org/mirror/macports/packages/curl
> --->  Installing curl @7.73.0_1+ssl
> --->  Cleaning curl
> --->  Computing dependencies for curl
> --->  Deactivating curl @7.73.0_0+ssl
> --->  Cleaning curl
> --->  Activating curl @7.73.0_1+ssl
> --->  Cleaning curl
>
> Error: Can't install oniguruma6 because conflicting ports are active: oniguruma5
> Error: Problem while installing oniguruma6
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
> bash-3.2#

What is "Oniguruma", and what do I need to worry about here?

> Description:          Oniguruma is a regular expressions library in which different character encoding can be specified for every expression. Supports Unicode Porperty/Script.

... does this mean that the normal RE libraries assume a single encoding for everything? Like if you work with UTF-8 text, you can't then use windows- or UTF-16 text encodings without restarting the program?