More old upgrade issues (was: Re: Libgcc: new version won't deactivate the old version)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 5 03:58:19 UTC 2020

> On Dec 4, 2020, at 21:19, Michael wrote:
>
>> Error: Can't install oniguruma6 because conflicting ports are active: oniguruma5
>> Error: Problem while installing oniguruma6
>> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
>> bash-3.2#
>
> What is "Oniguruma", and what do I need to worry about here?
>
>> Description:          Oniguruma is a regular expressions library in which different character encoding can be specified for every expression. Supports Unicode Porperty/Script.

You've answered your own question about what it is.

You have oniguruma5 installed and are now trying to install oniguruma6, and you can't do that because they conflict.

Since you are asking about it, I assume you did not deliberately install oniguruma but that it was installed for you as a dependency of another port, and that that other port has switched from 5 to 6 since the last time you updated. You may need to deactivate oniguruma5 to proceed with the upgrade, assuming it is not needed by any other ports. See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60788.

> ... does this mean that the normal RE libraries assume a single encoding for everything? Like if you work with UTF-8 text, you can't then use windows- or UTF-16 text encodings without restarting the program?

Don't know. Just because oniguruma advertises that it offers a feature does not mean that no other software also offers that feature.