Running X11 in MacOS-window-as-X11-display mode?

Justin Vallon justinvallon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:20:29 UTC 2020

On 12/7/20 4:00 PM, joerg van den hoff wrote:

> On 07.12.20 21:41, Justin Vallon wrote:
>> I think that XQuartz is the X-server for MacPorts X11.app.  That "full
>> screen" mode takes over the entire display (hiding all other Mac
>> applications).  I would like to have that X display within a Mac Window.
>
> did not really follow this thread but it seems you just want to run
> Xquartz *not* in full screen mode? I believe the alternative is called
> "seamless mode". I am using that and the X11 window manager does then
> leave the OSX menubar alone and you can switch to different apps with
> command-TAB selection etc.

My point is that there are only two options available in X11.app, but
there is a third:

1) Seamless mode where each XWindow gets a MacOS Window.

2) Full-screen mode where X11 takes over the entire display (and does
not show any other Mac apps, Dock, menubar, spaces doesn't work, etc)

3) Windowed mode where X11 opens a single window, which maps to an
XDisplay.  Inside that display, you can run a window manager, etc, in a
full X11 environment.

Apps like Microsoft RDP, Mac Remote Desktop, VNC, etc, all have options
for full-screen mode or (single) window mode.  X11.app only has
full-screen or seamless, but lacks single-window mode.  I believe Exceed
(Windows app) has multi-window, single-window, and full-screen modes.

> this works especially good with tiling X11 window managers in my view. I
> just keep one of the OSX virtual "Spaces" desktops reserved for the X11
> window manager and all X11 apps (including terminal emuators like xterm)
> I use (dwm).
I'll try using an alternate wm and spaces as you mentioned.

--
-Justin
JustinVallon at gmail.com