Running X11 in MacOS-window-as-X11-display mode?

joerg van den hoff veedeehjay at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:00:34 UTC 2020

On 07.12.20 21:41, Justin Vallon wrote:
> I think that XQuartz is the X-server for MacPorts X11.app.  That "full screen" mode takes over the
> entire display (hiding all other Mac applications).  I would like to have that X display within a
> Mac Window.

did not really follow this thread but it seems you just want to run Xquartz *not* in full screen
mode? I believe the alternative is called "seamless mode". I am using that and the X11 window
manager does then leave the OSX menubar alone and you can switch to different apps with command-TAB
selection etc.

this works especially good with tiling X11 window managers in my view. I just keep one of the OSX
virtual "Spaces" desktops reserved for the X11 window manager and all X11 apps (including terminal
emuators like xterm) I use (dwm).

hth
joerg