clamav-server notes question

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 02:37:13 UTC 2020

The binary daemondo is part of MacPorts:

$ which daemondo
/opt/local/bin/daemondo

To allow this process full disk access hit ‘+’ under System Preferences> Security & Privacy> Privacy> Full Disk Access,

Then in the Finder window hit Command-Shift-. to show the hidden directories, then navigate to /opt/local/bin/daemondo.

All clamav-server logs are in /opt/local/var/log/clamav, or ~/Library/Logs/ClamavScanIt for user-invoked ClamavScanIt.sh calls. Look for ClamavScanOnAccess.log and ClamavScanSchedule.log.

Except for the logs, clamav-server scans happen silently in the background. Quarantined files are placed in /opt/Quarantine or ${CLAMAV_SERVER_QUARANTINE} according to rules in the scripts:
/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.ClamavScanOnAccess/ClamavScanOnAccess.wrapper
/opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.ClamavScanSchedule/ClamavScanSchedule.wrapper
/opt/local/bin/ClamavScanIt.sh

There’s several other shell variable in these scripts that provide user control of control scanning behavior.

If you follow the instructions for the Finder.app Contextual Menu for ClamavScanIt.sh, then right-click on a file and run ClamavScanIt, you’ll see the little Automator gear running in the Menu Bar, then a notification of the result.

An undocumented feature to set environment variables at boot time is to create and load a plist like the following:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/private.myserver.launchctl-setenv.plist