What is pkg-config WRT macports

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Dec 26 09:33:45 UTC 2020

pkg-config* is part of the pkgconfig package (presumably installed, or you would have gotten a message that it, rather than some library, was missing). I gather** it's a tool used to retrieve configuration information about how libraries built with some associated tools were configured...and that the libftdi1 (which apparently you don't have) should have made information available for pkg-config to retrieve.***

It looks like you're doing something on your own...which would not have known to make sure libftdi1 was already installed. Or maybe some environment variable (the PKG_CONFIG_PATH that it mentions, maybe?) wasn't set right. But those are just guesses.

* discovered as follows:
sh-3.2$ type pkg-config
pkg-config is /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
sh-3.2$ port provides /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
/opt/local/bin/pkg-config is provided by: pkgconfig

** man pkg-config

*** after installing libftdi1, the following files containing information retrievable by pkg-config can be found:
sh-3.2$ port contents libftdi1 | fgrep .pc
  /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/libftdi1.pc
  /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/libftdipp1.pc