MacPort's rsyncd error messages after changing ssh port

Artemio González López artemiog at mac.com
Wed Feb 19 17:16:16 UTC 2020

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 12:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Feb 17, 2020, at 13:32, Artemio González López wrote:
>
>> After changing the sshd port from 22 to a non-standard (high) number, I’ve noticed that my system.log is flooded with error messages like the following, coming from MacPort’s rsync daemon:
>>
>> Feb 17 20:11:05 my-compuer-name com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (org.macports.rsyncd[18457]): Service exited with abnormal code: 2
>>
>> I tried to debug this problem executing "sudo launchctl debug system/org.macports.rsync --stdout —stderr” and got the following error message (which I don’t understand):
>>
>> Configuration failed: 113: Could not find specified service
>> Could not find service "org.macports.rsync" in domain for system
>>
>> rsync and port selfupdate work well, but as I said this is quickly filling up my log (at the rate of one message every 30 seconds or so). Could anybody tell me what’s causing this, and how to fix it?
>
> I guess at some point you ran "sudo port load rsync" to tell MacPorts to tell launchd to run the rsync program as a server and keep it running, in order to host your own rsync server. I guess something about that isn't set it up correctly, so it can't start, and it exits with an error; launchd is then doing what you told it to do and starting rsync again, which exits again, etc. You can use "sudo port unload rsync" to tell MacPorts to tell launchd to stop trying to keep rsync running, and then you won't be trying to run your own rsync server anymore. This will have no effect on your ability to use the rsync program as a client to talk to some other rsync server, for example when you use "sudo port selfupdate".
>
> If you really do want to run rsync as a server and can't figure out why it's not working, let us know; I won't be able to help you but maybe someone else will.

Dear Ryan,

Thank you so much for your clear and prompt answer. You were absolutely right, the problem was that in some of my computers I must have at some point inadvertently launched rsyncd (probably thinking that it was needed for MacPort’s rsync or to connect to the MacPorts server). After unloading it the messages disappeared.

Thanks again,

Artemio