xterm: unable to locate a suitable font

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Fri Jul 10 07:53:34 UTC 2020

Catalina 10.15.5

Cannot open an xterm - XQuartz 1.20.8 xorg server

When I start X11 an click  on Programme->Terminal, nothing happens.
Clicking Xlogo, Xman works. Starting an xclock from within a normal macOS terminal also starts X11
and the xclock appears.

When I type xterm in a normal macOS terminal, I’ getting xterm: unable to locate a suitable font

Creating a  .Xdefaults with an appropriate entry doesn’t help.
I remember that that used to work.

A problem with path since I switched to bash? But switching back to zsh doesn’t help either.

—
Christoph