macports-users Digest, Vol 166, Issue 6

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jun 17 13:37:16 UTC 2020

On 17/06/2020 02.08, Thomas Bodlien wrote:
> I have set region to german and language to us english.
> Macports installs everything in german
> How can I fix this?

You are likely hit by this bug in gettext, which causes it to select the wrong
language for messages:

This will be fixed with gettext 0.20.x for which the update is currently still a
work in progress:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58526

Until then, the only workaround is to explicitly select the language by
exporting the locale variables LANG and LC_ALL in the environment, which should
override the language preferences set in the macOS settings.

For example, add this to your shell startup file:

  export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
  export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

Rainer