registry.db getting rather obese (> 600MB) and updates very slow. Anything to do?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Jun 22 22:33:38 UTC 2020

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> Another PowerMac 10.5 datapoint, if it is helpful:

On my MacBook Pro (Sierra), it's

-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  62558208 Jun 22 08:09 /opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db

And yeah, as Ryan noted later I got lotsa ports installed :-)

> My MacPorts update recipe is as follows.
>
>    /opt/local/bin/port selfupdate
>    /opt/local/bin/port upgrade outdated
>    /opt/local/bin/port clean inactive
>    /opt/local/bin/port -f uninstall inactive

Is this the "official" care and feeding of MacPorts?  My routine (no real
reason) is:

Sunday: port -u uninstall	# Clean out saved ports
Monday: port selfupdate		# Update itself
and     port -p upgrade		# And play dumb by answering the questions

I haven't timed it (but the build takes a heck of a long time sometimes)
and I'm asked if I want to do a "clean" after two weeks.

Oh, I use "-p" because I come across the occasional broken port ("guile"
springs to mind) and I really want to see what can be built after that,
instead of waiting for a fix.

-- Dave