registry.db getting rather obese (> 600MB) and updates very slow. Anything to do?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 04:31:55 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-23, at 8:50 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:01 PM Ken Cunningham
> <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:

>> All in all, all my 10.5 PPC port builds have been backed up, I made them all available as an archive source to a few interested users, and my system works like lightening again.
>
> That's weird. MacPorts on my G5 has been broken for months due to libcxx.
>
> How do you manage to build packages?

I'm sorry for not helping you better.

A very large amount of MacPorts (95%?) works on 10.5 PPC (and most things on 10.4 PPC), but base is broken in a few places and you can't just rely on it to choose the right compiler at present.

The base fixes are trivial <https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/59717/patch-portconfigure-properly-support-less-than-snowleopard.diff> at least on the face of it.

I have not been contributing to base lately as -- well -- ...

Michael tells me he is getting a whole refurbished PPC infrastructure shortly, so perhaps the two of us might get some traction.

Where are you stuck? If you can point me to a ticket I'll get you through it, if I can.

Ken