status of 10.5 PPC support on MacPorts (was: registry.db getting rather obese (> 600MB) and updates very slow. Anything to do?)

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 18:30:20 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-23, at 9:31 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> A very large amount of MacPorts (95%?) works on 10.5 PPC (and most things on 10.4 PPC), but base is broken in a few places and you can't just rely on it to choose the right compiler at present.

My usual "acid test" for the state of MacPorts on 10.5 PPC is Octave, which is very demanding on compiler / supporting software, etc, and I'm happy to report it still seems healthy:

$ port -v installed octave
  octave @5.2.0_2+accelerate+app+docs+gfortran+graphicsmagick+qt4+sound+sundials (active) platform='darwin 9' archs='ppc' date='2020-06-25T11:01:42-0700'

and runs OK.

Minor tweaks needed in building.