Issues self updating Macports

Angus Denton gus_denton at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 10 02:14:34 UTC 2020

I have encountered two issues when attempting to update Macports it self before being able to update my ports.
sudo self update produces an error

error renaming "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp/base": no such file or directory

error renaming "/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp/base" : no such file or directory

If I then create this directory by hand as it's the 'base' directory that is missing,  it leads to the next issue which is

arning: No version file found, please rerun selfupdate.

warning: No version file found, please rerun selfupdate.

Short of uninstalling Macports and and all my associated ports, how do I get past this issue ?

My current version of macports is 2.5.3
I am on a MBP mid 2012 running 10.11.6 (Yes I know it's old and should be updated but I still need the Apple Pro apps)

Regards

Gus Denton