Macports installation with symbolic link

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 11 07:39:26 UTC 2020

On Mar 10, 2020, at 13:37, dan d. wrote:

> Is it possible to install Macports using a symbolic link to an external drive via /opt/local?

As far as I know, we do not make any guarantees about whether that will work. I think the topic has come up several times before over the years. It may work. You can certainly try it and let us know. There may be some aspects of MacPorts base or of individual ports that will not work if you do that. (I seem to recall problems with "port provides" when symlinks are involved.)