How view pdf in okular?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 19:49:29 UTC 2020

Question: How can I configure okular so as to recognize and open pdf files?

When I start okular.app and try to open a pdf file…

	- pdf is not listed in the supported file types; and

	- if I directly type the name of a file in the current directory, I get a pop-up saying the file cannot be found.

Is there some missing plugin and, if so, how do I install it? Or some configuration step still to do.

What I did:

Following instructions at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDE, I’ve instralled okular and its various dependencies and:

	sudo port install kde4-workspace qtcurve
	kbuildsycoca4

Then I used the KDE4 systemsettings.app to configure QtCurve as the KDE style, as stated.
Further, I did:

	sudo port install poppler +qt4 +quartz
	sudo port clean okular
	sudo port install okular

Before starting okular, I ran:

	launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
        launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.kdecache.plist

But when I start okular.app and try to open a pdf file…

	- pdf is not listed in the supported file types; and

	- if I directly type the name of a file in the current directory, I get a pop-up saying the file cannot be found.

(I am aware of various discussions elsewhere about the same issue under Linux, where, e.g., it is suggested to do one of these things:

	sudo apt-get install kdelibs5-plugins kdelibs5-data oxygen-icon-theme

	sudo chown -R youruser .kdE
    sudo chgrp -R youruser .kde

However, those packages are not available in macports, and I find no file .kde on my system.)

[There’s another issue: when I start okular, each window flashes between black text on light background and the reverse.]

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334