MacPorts updates (mail-server install) apparently messing with installed configuration dates

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Mar 23 14:40:34 UTC 2020

On 23 Mar 2020, at 6:03, Gerben Wierda via macports-users wrote:

> Hmm, that is not nice. It should leave those files such as my aliases
> file alone. Probably a fix/check for ownership?

I have no idea what it is doing, but it is NOT done by the postfix port
itself. Note that I updated postfix using the port last week:

# ls -lrt /opt/local/etc/postfix/aliases*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   7419 Jun 26  2012
/opt/local/etc/postfix/aliases
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  16384 Oct  6  2018
/opt/local/etc/postfix/aliases.db
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  10519 Mar 18 23:11
/opt/local/etc/postfix/aliases.sample

> Is this something that is fixable in the port or is this something
> inherent in the way MacPorts work when installing?

It is not done by the postfix port or by MacPorts inherently.

> (Same happened with dovecot. I have been using the mail-server port as
> an umbrella, so it might have been that one)

That seems most likely. I also updated the dovecot port last week and it
did not touch any config files. I've never had a need for the
'mail-server' meta-port, so I don't use it.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not For Hire (currently)