gcc7 not compiling on PPC due to mismatch

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 00:43:50 UTC 2020

> However, I am stuck on PPC! I am unable to update MacPorts on my belowed
> PowerMac since months - libgcc7 failure.
> Compilation fails because stage2 and stage3 do not compile.

I will admit I do not as yet understand why this error happens sometimes.

You will see several tickets about this in trac with minimal searching, going back over the past 2 or 3 years.

Peter has this issue all the time on his PowerPC. I had never noticed this issue, until a recent build of gcc7 on a Tiger i386 system, when I got this too.

I am not certain if this is due to different dwarf debug symbols, but I can remember at one point we though this might be the issue.

I have wondered if the “compare” program was erring  when doing the comparison.

Sometimes, for no particular reason, just restarting the gcc build again, without cleaning, can work.

There is a way to turn off the multiple-building-comparison feature, and just going straight to one bootstrap (stage1) and one final (stage2) compiler, and skip the stage3 comparison.

I don’t think you’d be taking much of a risk doing this — gcc is well-vetted.

Best,

Ken