128-bit long double handling on PowerMac

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sun May 3 05:38:23 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone,

When I manually build GetText and Gnulib on a PowerMac G5, the self
tests fail due to floats. I was talking with the GNU folks about it,
and GetText and Gnulib don't handle the 128-bit long doubles.

Apple says 64-bit long doubles are default at [1], but the man page is
wrong, at least on my PowerMac. 128-bit long doubles are in effect by
default on my PowerMac, and I need -mlong-double-64 to get the 64-bit
long doubles.

[1] https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/System/Conceptual/ManPages_iPhoneOS/man3/float.3.html

My question is, how is MacPorts handling the issue? Does MacPorts use
-mlong-double-64? Does MacPorts patch Gnulib on a PowerMac? Or maybe
something else?

Jeff