128-bit long double handling on PowerMac

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Sun May 3 12:30:25 UTC 2020

On 03/05/2020 01:38, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> When I manually build GetText and Gnulib on a PowerMac G5, the self
> tests fail due to floats. I was talking with the GNU folks about it,
> and GetText and Gnulib don't handle the 128-bit long doubles.
>
> Apple says 64-bit long doubles are default at [1], but the man page is
> wrong, at least on my PowerMac. 128-bit long doubles are in effect by
> default on my PowerMac, and I need -mlong-double-64 to get the 64-bit
> long doubles.

This prints out 128?

cc -x c - <<< $'#include <stdio.h>\nvoid main() { printf("%lu\\n",
sizeof(long double) * 8); }' && ./a.out

If it does this seems strange to me.

It's not unusual output for a 64-bit machine (like my current Mac).

On my Linux machine, forcing 32-bit with -m32 outputs 96 (80-bit
extended precision specific to x86). Can't check my Mac for this because
it's Catalina and 32-bit support is gone.

Andrew