Processes getting wedged in "U" (uninterruptible wait) state after Security Update 2020-003

Franco Vaccari vaccari at units.it
Fri May 29 00:33:23 UTC 2020

I add to my previous description that on my system, SIP is enabled (just checked with csrutil status), but maybe turning it off will work…

Do you see any error message in console when you launch a process and it get stuck?

Ciao

Franco

> [...]
>>
>> I’m sorry I can’t help more than this, but at least you know it’s not a general problem, and there must be something specific that went broken on your Mini…
>>
>> Ciao
>>
>> Franco
>>
>>> On 29 May 2020, at 01:25, Greg Earle <earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Kind of a long shot here, but given the level of Mac expertise on this list ...
>>>
>>> At work I have a production Mac mini running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.  It ran perfectly fine - with several MacPorts ports in regular use - until last night.
>>>
>>> I made the mistake of installing Security Update 2020-003.
>>>
>>> After the reboot I started noticing things going haywire quickly.
>>>
>>> - Servers that were running but not listening on their usual ports (or at all)
>>>
>>> - Servers that were running normally but could not be killed (not even kill -9)
>>>
>>> - Processes (including MacPorts apps) that get wedged as soon as they run
>>>
>>> The common thread through all these is that the processes - whether you tried to kill them or run them from scratch - all get wedged in "U" (uninterruptible wait) state.  (Nothing is NFS or CIFS mounted so I doubt it's due to disk I/O.)
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> A COTS product we have uses Postgres as the back-end database; the Postgres server starts at boot time, but it doesn't bind to its normal listening port.  If I try to kill the process, it wedges - just like these other ones do.
>>>
>>> If I try to run MacPorts' "htop" port ("/opt/local/bin/htop") - it immediately wedges.  I can't even run it under "dtruss" - I get no output at all, like as if it never even gets off the ground to run.
>>>
>>> (Strangely, the normal system "top" runs fine and doesn't wedge - it also shows these processes as being in "stuck" state, as expected.)
>>>
>>> If I try to restart MacPorts' Xymon monitoring port (which has several persistent processes started at boot time), one of them, "xymonlaunch", won't quit and it gets wedged in "U" state.
>>>
>>> I was able to use "gcore" to get a core dump of one of the wedged processes, but when I tried to use the MacPorts "gdb" (/opt/local/bin/ggdb) to examine it, you guessed it ... instantly wedged.
>>>
>>> In fact, pretty much EVERYTHING in the MacPorts "/opt/local/bin" directory is wedging on me at startup!  I'm completely baffled at this point.
>>>
>>> Tried running the MacPorts "tree" and "openssl" next.  Stuck.
>>>
>>> The list of wedged processes is getting impressive:
>>>
>>> --
>>> whdmac:~ root# top -l 1 | egrep STATE\|stuck | sed -e 's/stuck.*/stuck/g' -e 's/STATE.*/STATE/g' -e 's/     //g'
>>> Processes: 152 total, 2 running, 5 stuck
>>> PID   COMMAND    %CPU TIME     #TH #WQ #PORTS MEM  PURG CMPRS PGRP PPID STATE
>>> 993   openssl     0.0  00:00.00 1   0   0     8192B+ 0B 0B    993  1    stuck
>>> 973   tree        0.0  00:00.00 1   0   0     8192B+ 0B 0B    973  445  stuck
>>> 956   htop        0.0  00:00.00 1   0   0     8192B+ 0B 0B    956  1    stuck
>>> 261   xymonlaunch 0.0  00:00.00 1   0   0     8192B+ 0B 0B    246  246  stuck