macOS 11 Big Sur and MacPorts

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 08:28:06 UTC 2020

On 16/11/2020 02:56, Lothar Haeger wrote:
> Same here: installing XCode and opening it once seems to install command line tools. At least they are listed in Preferences as installed (at the same path as XCode.app).
> Seems as if no separate install is required with 12.x anymore.
>
>> Am 16.11.2020 um 06:41 schrieb Wahlstedt Jyrki <jwa at macports.org>:
>>

>>> Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> kirjoitti 16.11.2020 kello 4.41:
>>>
>>> Hm. As far as I knew, the "components" that Xcode updates at first launch are only related to on-device iOS/iPadOS/watchOS/tvOS development.
>>
>> Not 100 % sure, but entering the command gives:
>>
>> jwa at bach:databases> xcode-select --install
>> xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use "Software Update" to install updates
>> jwa at bach:databases>
>>
>> Is it only me?
>>

>> !
>> ! Jyrki

I really would like to convert this to *extremely clear* copy-paste
instructions or even a script that fixes issues, at least for Big Sur.

I haven't had too much of an issue building things (except Qt from the
PR to update it, see ticket #61103) but I have some seen some messages
like the following:

Warning: The macOS 11.0 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may
not build correctly.
Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools
package by running `xcode-select --install'.

Maybe related to https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt

Usually the message is different and says to go to this link.

--
Andrew