macOS 11 Big Sur and MacPorts

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 08:55:15 UTC 2020

> On 16. Nov 2020, at 09:28, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Same here: installing XCode and opening it once seems to install command line tools. At least they are listed in Preferences as installed (at the same path as XCode.app).
>> Seems as if no separate install is required with 12.x anymore.
>
> I’m agreeing with Ryan here.
>
> Opening Xcode 12.2 did indeed update components, but it did *not* update the Command Line Tools.
>
> I downloaded the Command Line Tools 12.2 Installer from Apple, and got all new stuff, including the MacOS 11 SDK and a newer version of clang that matches the one in Xcode.
>
> So — I had to use the installer to update the CLTs.
Yes, everyone replying that you have the CLT installed, check if it’s actually the correct one. Because apparently there is a bug that makes Xcode report that the CLTs are installed *without* checking whether it is the correct version.
At least the command "xcode-select —install” gave me this while I knew I still had Xcode 12 CLTs installed and not a newer one (with the 11.0 SDK).

In Xcode itself I actually do not see the CLT listed at all, only the simulators.

So I also had to use the installer.