macOS 11 Big Sur and MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 16 16:55:23 UTC 2020

On Nov 16, 2020, at 02:55, Dominik Reichardt wrote:

> Yes, everyone replying that you have the CLT installed, check if it’s actually the correct one. Because apparently there is a bug that makes Xcode report that the CLTs are installed *without* checking whether it is the correct version.

On OS X 10.9 Mavericks and later you can run:

pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables | grep version

This will tell you the installed version of the command line tools. On Big Sur I get:

version: 12.2.0.0.1.1604076827

If you are on Big Sur and you have a version older than 12.2, please download and install the Xcode 12.2 command line tools from:

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=Command%20Line%20Tools

If it says:

No receipt for 'com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables' found at '/'.

then you either do not have the command line tools installed or you are affected by the Apple bug that deletes the command line tools receipt described here:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt

To fix this, download and install the Xcode 12.2 command line tools from:

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=Command%20Line%20Tools