Any reason not to update to Xcode 12.2 on Catalina?

raf macports at raf.org
Mon Nov 16 23:32:55 UTC 2020

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 11:56:54AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> You should definitely never run with a mismatched set of Xcode and its
> command line tools. Either update the command line tools to the Xcode
> 12.2 version or downgrade Xcode to whatever it was before. Using Xcode
> 11.x and matching CLT on macOS 10.15 will keep you from encountering
> some build failures.

Hi,

I have "XCode 11.3 (11C29)" (on macos-10.14.6) and,
in its Preferences / Locations, it says
"Command Line Tools: XCode 11.3 (11C29)".

But pkgutil seems to say otherwise:

  $ pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables | grep version
  version: 10.3.0.0.1.1562985497

I haven't noticed any problem (yet), but that looks
like a mismatch. Should I upgrade the command line
tools anyway? Note that I never actually use the XCode
app itself, just the command line tools. I suppose the
answer is yes.

Also, is the XCode app mistaken about which version of
the command line tools are there, or is it just
referring to its embedded version of them?

cheers,
raf