Any reason not to update to Xcode 12.2 on Catalina?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 17 00:45:17 UTC 2020

On Nov 16, 2020, at 17:32, raf wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 11:56:54AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> You should definitely never run with a mismatched set of Xcode and its
>> command line tools. Either update the command line tools to the Xcode
>> 12.2 version or downgrade Xcode to whatever it was before. Using Xcode
>> 11.x and matching CLT on macOS 10.15 will keep you from encountering
>> some build failures.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have "XCode 11.3 (11C29)" (on macos-10.14.6) and,
> in its Preferences / Locations, it says
> "Command Line Tools: XCode 11.3 (11C29)".
>
> But pkgutil seems to say otherwise:
>
>  $ pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables | grep version
>  version: 10.3.0.0.1.1562985497
>
> I haven't noticed any problem (yet), but that looks
> like a mismatch. Should I upgrade the command line
> tools anyway? Note that I never actually use the XCode
> app itself, just the command line tools. I suppose the
> answer is yes.
>
> Also, is the XCode app mistaken about which version of
> the command line tools are there, or is it just
> referring to its embedded version of them?

This poorly-named Xcode preferences setting is showing you the same information as running "xcode-select -p". This tells you what you will be running if you run e.g. "clang" on the command line: will you get the one that's in Xcode or the one in the standalone command line tools package? In your case, it is telling you that you will get the one from Xcode 11.3.

As the pkgutil command shows, your standalone command line tools version is 10.3. Because this does not match your Xcode version, you should update it.

MacPorts will use the commands from Xcode if the port indicates that it requires that ("use_xcode yes") or if the standalone command line tools are not installed, otherwise it will use the commands from the command line tools. To avoid problems, make sure the two are the same version.