info

Artem Loenko artyom.loenko at mac.com
Fri Nov 27 16:01:02 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am in the same boat (and have switched from HomeBrew to MacPorts a few weeks ago, so, maybe I am wrong).

MacPorts as a tool works just fine on Macs with Apple Silicon, but many ports are “broken” and have to be fixed. Most of them just do not compile for `arm64`, and it is not MacPorts fault, some - do not compile due to MacPorts configuration (rare cases). So far, as far as I understand, the best course of action is to report all broken ports to the MacPorts tracker and to developers of the tool that does not compile for `arm64` arch. For example, this is a ticket about broken Neovim (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61550 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61550>), but it does not compile due to issues on the NeoVim side (that’s why I started a discussion with them (https://github.com/neovim/neovim/issues/13399 <https://github.com/neovim/neovim/issues/13399>).

I use the following `make` target to install MacPorts on Apple Silicon or you can just download the package from the site (https://www.macports.org/install.php <https://www.macports.org/install.php>):

```
macports: ## Install/Upgrade MacPorts
ifeq (, $(shell which port))
	$(eval TEMP_PKG := $(shell mktemp -t macports).pkg)
	curl --silent --output $(TEMP_PKG) --remote-name https://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/MacPorts-2.6.4_1-11-BigSur.pkg
	sudo installer -pkg $(TEMP_PKG) -target /
	rm -Rf $(TEMP_PKG)
endif
	sudo port selfupdate
```