Leopard Intel compiler availability --> was Re: rebuild a package without an update

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Sun Nov 29 11:55:27 UTC 2020

Hi Ken,

On 2020-11-18 17:07:43 +0000 Ken Cunningham
<ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Riccardo et al,
>
> I have finished rebuilding all the common compilers for Leopard Intel
> i386,
> up to clang-9.0.
>
> It is apparently possible now to build up to gcc-10 on Tiger and up,
> and I
> have built some of these, but MacPorts has presently held some older
> systems
> back a bit to avoid overly-complicating things without benefit for
> now.
>
> Riccardo: All these compilers are available on the older systems
> prebuilt
> binaries site.

that's an impressive list... right now I only need gcc 48 and gcc6
(and newer? soon?) gcc 4.8 being needed for TenFourFox work, all the
rest is updated enought o work with gcc6 (which is actually a
life-saver when clang fails and also a testbed, since on PPC then I
use gcc).

I still think I should be able to build from sources, a bit "proud" bu
also a test to see everything still chains up in MacPorts... tweaking
a command line or getting some order is acceptable, but e.g.
deactivating all clang ports is rather not.
We should find a way to do do without clang with options inside the
portfile or at least on the command line.

This is all on 10.5/i386 - then I already started my luck on PPC, then
10.6/universal - and last 10.5/x86_64

I updated 10.7 all fine instead, except one nasty package,
syntax-highlighter which is broken since years (a blocker for a fresh
install though).

Maybe it makes sense to ads an autobuilder 10.5 instance ?

Riccardo