what is the technical reason why no current version of GNOME runs on macOS?

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Fri Apr 16 12:56:41 UTC 2021

> On Apr 16, 2021, at 8:35 AM, Evelyn Pereira Souza via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 16.04.21 14:13, Ben Greenfield wrote:
>> Can you clarify?
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/GNOMEPackageStatus
>
> Quote:
>
> gnome-desktop
> 2.26.3
>
> Some days ago GNOME 4 was released. This very old release.

You have to admit that would be a great place to discover any technical reasons… it’s also proof that it is possible:)

If you do get it running you can try to create a login script that will launch that desktop instead of the default desktop.

Which is what I thought you might be asking about.

Have a good day,

Ben