socks proxy server for macOS?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Aug 28 15:45:36 UTC 2021

Is there a robust socks5 proxy server for macOS? And no, I do not mean the -D option of ssh; although it works, it dies daily, more or less.

For FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris, it seems that ss5 is often mentioned, And if something that may not need much OS specific code builds on FreeBSD, I'd like to think it wouldn't be too hard to build on macOS; but I haven't tried yet, and haven't found an example of someone else trying.

Has anyone built ss5 for macOS? Or is there a port of some socks5 server that could run, preferably in background (LaunchDaemon or whatever) on macOS?

Sometimes, my main connectivity is cr at p, and my Macs  aren't close enough together to use the phone's WiFi (no stronger than it has to be) all as a hotspot; and macOS client side socks5 proxy support (to the laptop with the iPhone plugged into it) is decent enough to use the App Store and some other things to keep them somewhat up to date. So until the weather cools down some, this would be really helpful. :-)