Cannot build libb2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 10 08:28:24 UTC 2021

On Dec 8, 2021, at 16:42, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.
>
> I finally got around to installing Xcode 10.1 and matching CLT, then
> started to rebuild MacPorts, dutifully following the instructions in the
> Migration Guide.
>
> It karked it when building "libb2" (config.log attached); here's the
> interesting bit:
>
>    configure:4721: checking whether byte ordering is bigendian
>    configure:4737: /usr/bin/clang -c -pipe -O3 -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -I/opt/local
>    /include conftest.c >&5
>    configure:4737: $? = 0
>    configure:4936: result: universal
>    configure:4947: error: universal endianness not supported
>
> I don't where it got "+universal" from; *I* certainly didn't ask for it...
>
> I couldn't find any references when poking around; anyone else seen this
> before I report it as a bug?

The "-arch x86_64 -arch i386" in the log does seem to indicate MacPorts is doing a universal build. The ways that could happen:

* You specified +universal on the command line
* You specified +universal in variants.conf
* You installed a port that, because it does not support your machine's native architecture, requires its dependencies to be installed universal.

If libb2 does not build universal, then that is certainly something we should fix. A bug has already been filed about it:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/64148

If you want to explore why libb2 is building universal when you don't intend that, show us what command you ran and the output. Specifically, we'd want to know which port you are trying to install or upgrade when libb2 gets build universal.