Can some ports install config files inside '/usr/local/etc'?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 13 01:36:59 UTC 2021

On Dec 11, 2021, at 23:54, fgyamauti2 fgyamauti2 wrote:

> The weird thing is that everything suspicious inside '/usr/local/etc' is a configuration file of stuff that is related to MacPorts. More precisely, I have suspicious folders named 'fonts' (from fontsconfig), 'gnutls', 'openldap', 'openssl at 1.1', 'pkcs11'. Now, when I search the name of each folder, there's always another folder with similar or equal name further inside '/opt/local/' (so something like 'opt/local/a/b/c/d/gnutls')

MacPorts keeps the Portfiles of all (tens of thousands of) existing ports on your system in /opt/local/var/macports/sources. This collection is called the "ports tree". When you ask MacPorts to install something, it does so by following the recipe in the corresponding Portfile. Those Portfiles are what get updated when you run "sudo port sync" or "sudo port selfupdate". So it's not surprising at all that when you search your drive for a common software program name, you find a directory with that name within MacPorts.

MacPorts hasn't ever installed any directory called "openssl at 1.1" as far as I know, but Homebrew does. MacPorts does use the convention "portname @version_revision+variants" when referring to ports, but that notation does not appear in directory names.