stdlib.h compilation error for macports gcc9.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 8 19:29:28 UTC 2021

On Feb 8, 2021, at 12:34, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> On 2021-02-08, at 10:02 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 7, 2021, at 17:57, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps we should find a way to broaden that down to including MacOSX10.15+ as well, if Catalina is going to be using the MacOSX11.x SDK.
>>
>> Why stop at 10.15? For several macOS versions before that, the last compatible Xcode version might include only a newer SDK that does not match the OS version.
>
> Well I can't keep up any more with the rapidly changing opinions.
>
> I have been under the impression you were (more or less) dead-set against this.
>
> <https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2020-December/042774.html>
>
> I was happy to get 11.x accepted, at least for GCC.

Well I did say there that "This is not a new problem in macOS 11; it has been a problem anytime we use an SDK, and certainly since 10.14." I'm in favor of consistency; it would be inconsistent to accommodate SDK-version-does-not-match-OS-version on some OS versions but not others.

We pointed out the types of problems that can arise from trying to use an SDK that does not match the OS version in projects that have not specifically been coded to anticipate that scenario. You went ahead with the change for gcc anyway, so I assume that means you determined that it was not a problem for gcc.