MacPorts bash on Big Sur as default shell

Mike Summers msummers at newrelic.com
Wed Feb 10 21:35:37 UTC 2021

I'm not able to get MacPorts bash working in Terminal as the default shell.

This is fresh install of Big Sur 11.2 on a new machine, fresh install of
MacPorts. Only bash and bash-autocomplete are installed

Setting the shell in either the Terminal preferences or for my user to
/opt/local/bin/bash always leaves me in /bin/bash

The "best" workaround so far is to start in zsh which has the PATH set
correctly and exec bash from there.

My old machine where has been through many upgrades including Big Sur "just
works",

I've run out of ideas, I'd appreciate pointers.