MacPorts bash on Big Sur as default shell

Peter West pbw at pbw.id.au
Thu Feb 11 03:09:57 UTC 2021

I set my default shell to /bin/bash.

I kept the contents of my .profile as they were, making sure to export all of the variables I wanted, and bracketed them with tests like so:

eval profile_read=\$${USER}_profile_read
if [ -n "$profile_read" ]
then {
    echo `date` "~/.profile already read" >>/tmp/$USER.init_scripts
    return
}
fi

…and…

eval export ${USER}_profile_read=true
echo `date` "~/.profile sourced" >>/tmp/$USER.init_scripts

if [ -x "/opt/local/bin/bash" ]; then
        [ "$BASH" != "/opt/local/bin/bash" ] && exec /opt/local/bin/bash
fi

Peter

—
Peter West
pbw at ehealth.id.au
“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary.”