wxMaxima crashes under Big Sur 11.2.1

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 17:18:05 UTC 2021

> On 14 Feb2021, at 11:11 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 14 Feb2021, at 2:12 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org <mailto:ryandesign at macports.org>> wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:33, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Without complaint, wxMaxima @20.04.0_0 installed (after maxima @5.43.2_12+xmaxima and gnuplot @5.4.1_2+aquaterm+luaterm+pangocairo+qt+wxwidgets+x11) under macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 using MacPorts 2.6.99 and Xcode CLT 12.4.
>>>
>>> Although the command-line maxima works, if I try to open /Applications/MacPorts/wxMaxima.app, the app immediately crashes.
>>>
>>> Perhaps this is related to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61933 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61933>.
>>>
>>> But exactly what log file should I provide? I examined the wxMaxima_2021002-13-xxxx.crash file in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports but find no “rootless” line there.
>>
>> I'm not sure what "rootless8" mentioned in that ticket refers to. Maybe it is the name of the user's computer. Probably irrelevant.
>>
>> If you want to provide your crash log, you can do that, but it sounds like we already figured out what the problem is.
>>
>> Per the mailing list thread mentioned in that ticket, I think the problem is an install_name_tool bug in Xcode 12.2. I don't know if the problem remains in Xcode 12.4. If you did not build wxWidgets from source, you can try doing that and see if it fixes the problem. Let us know whether or not that fixed it. If 12.4 didn't fix the bug, then a workaround is given in the mailing list thread linked in that ticket.
>>

> (1) There is no port “wxWidgets”, only:
>
>   wxWidgets-3.0
>   wxWidgets-common
>   wxWidgets_select
>
> Which one(s) do I need to build from source?
>
> (2) And what about gnuplot, which will break if I uninstall wxWidgets-3.0?
>
> (3) Is the build-from-source command “port -s [portname]?
>
> 	I’m not finding this documented at https://guide.macports.org <https://guide.macports.org/>.

I uninstalled wxWidgets-3.0, gnuplot, maxima, and wxMaxima. Then installed wxWidgets-3.0 from source (port -s install wxWidgets-3.0). Then installed (not from source, but normally) gnuplot, maxima, and wxMaxima.

Now I different problem: when I try to open wxMaxima.app, I get a pop-up error: locale ‘pa’ cannot be set.

If I dismiss that pop-up, then wxMaxima DOES open!

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334