xorg

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 15 08:48:08 UTC 2021

On Feb 14, 2021, at 17:48, James wrote:

> I decided to use org rather than XQuartz

I presume you mean: you now use the MacPorts xorg ports, such as xorg-server, rather than XQuartz. This should be fine and there shouldn't be an appreciable difference between the two, other than that the MacPorts xorg ports are currently more up to date than the XQuartz distribution. Both XQuartz and the MacPorts xorg ports were created by the same person so they are very similar in how they work.

> But a check shows
>
> ssh sandypit
>
> [sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% xeyes
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> I have enabled auth
> ssh_config
>> Host *
>    SendEnv LANG LC_*
>    XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth

Although I'm unfamiliar with configuring ssh for X11 access, I can tell you that /opt/X11 is where XQuartz would install things. MacPorts installs in /opt/local usually. Try changing this /opt/X11 to /opt/local.