Build servers going offline due to inclement weather

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Feb 20 17:05:55 UTC 2021

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 at 08:41, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:

> Ok, thanks. In the future then, I might do that if after 2-3 days, the outage was expected to continue for perhaps that much more, so that I didn't get too far behind; and I'd probably blow away the clone and switch back after things were back to normal (since it wouldn't be worth the slowdown the rest of the time).

I'm exclusively using git for updating ports.

Running portindex only takes forever the first time you do it. Or if
you don't update for a very very long time. Any subsequent updates
from git and portindex runs are fast. Actually, if you are updating
very often, updates via git are probably faster.

(The only drawback of updating through git is that you may get updated
definitions "slightly too soon". If you get portindex with some delay,
it's more likely that buildbot has already finished building the
package in the meantime.)

Mojca