Question about fish shell initialization settings...

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Feb 22 18:08:45 UTC 2021

On 22 Feb 2021, at 12:36, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:

> On starting the shell, (within zsh at the moment, because fish isn’t
> yet my default
> shell, since I am only just now learning it), it already seems to know
> all of the
> environment variables eg: $PATH, $CPATH, $CLASSPATH, etc, that I set
> from within the zsh initialization files. Is it reading my zsh
> initialization files to
> get that information, or or getting that information from some other
> source?

Environment variables are passed from parent processes to their
children. That's why they are called "environment" variables. A shell
also has variables that exist for its own use in command lines that are
NOT part of the environment. You can see all shell variables using the
'set' command and all environment variables with the 'env' command. You
can turn a normal variable into an environment variables with 'export
VARIABLENAME' and POSIX-compliant shells can also be configured to
export all variables automatically.

TL;DR: you'll need shell init files for fish.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire