Question about fish shell initialization settings...

Carlo Tambuatco oraclmaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:36:06 UTC 2021

I installed the fish shell from mp a few days ago, and I’ve been loving it so far, but
I’ve been wondering about where certain environment variables get set on startup…

On starting the shell, (within zsh at the moment, because fish isn’t yet my default
shell, since I am only just now learning it), it already seems to know all of the
environment variables eg: $PATH, $CPATH, $CLASSPATH, etc, that I set
from within the zsh initialization files. Is it reading my zsh initialization files to
get that information, or or getting that information from some other source?

When I finally switch to fish as a default shell do I need to write those
environment variables into a fish config file for fish to find it, or will it somehow
find it on its own? I’ve read the fish documentation, and it isn’t totally clear
on this point.