qt5-qtwebengine on macOS 10.13, Xcode version

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 18:10:17 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-01 3:46 p.m., Ken Cunningham wrote:

>> On Jan 1, 2021, at 3:35 PM, Davide Liessi <davide.liessi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Il giorno sab 2 gen 2021 alle ore 00:12 Ken Cunningham
>> <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>> IMO — just upgrade yourself to Xcode 10 (like everyone else has done) and the buildbot can stay on Xcode 9.
>> There is one port (and its dependencies, of course) that I need to
>> build with the universal variant: lame.
>> Does Xcode 10 remove my ability to build it?
>>
>> Davide
> Let me build it for you and report back.

As I reported separately to David, lame built successfully +universal
with Xcode10 installed.

Xcode 10 has the newer build system, tools, and SDK to work with.
MacPorts does work around some of these issues with newer compilers (the
macports-clang-N series) and tools (both cctools and ld64). But you are
still stuck with the SDK, and some of the xcode tools (xcodebuild, the
nib tools, and others).

The advantage to staying on Xcode9 is mainly the os-matching
MacOSX10.13.sdk which makes it less likely that functions will be found
that are actually unavailable on the os, and the fact that it has the
i386 components in it fully available, including all the libraries.

To be noted that on 10.13 that MacOSX10.13.sdk is installed in "/", and
MacPorts will preferentially use that as the SDK for builds unless some
port (like qt5, as a good example) forces otherwise.

You can really have the best of all worlds, I think, if you save the
MacOS10.13.sdk from Xcode9 somewhere safe, upgrade to Xcode10 and the
command line tools for Xcode 10, and then symlink that MacOSX10.13.sdk
into the locations that are looked for by default by Xcode, namely:

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/

and

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/

on one of my 10.13 systems, I have done that. On the other, I have at
present only the Xcode10 default SDKs installed, and of course, the
MacOSX10.13.sdk SDK is installed in "/".

If our metrics are to be believed, it appears most users have upgraded
to Xcode10 on 10.13 at present, although these are opt-in metrics and
therefore might be skewed, they are hoped to be representative.

Right now, you could say the only immediate visible advantage of
upgrading to Xcode10 is to build qt5-qtwebengine version 5.15.2 on
10.13, and there are possibly other ways that could be accomplished.

I suppose I'll leave it at that. I don't have any 10.13 systems that run
Xcode9 any more, so unfortunately I can't help fix ports that won't
build on 10.13 with Xcode9.