old Macbook Pro

Christopher Chavez chrischavez at gmx.us
Thu Jan 14 10:40:33 UTC 2021

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 1:23 AM
From: "Bjarne D Mathiesen" <macintosh at mathiesen.info>
> Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> an oldish MacBook Pro (13", Mid 2010) running
>> Sierra 10.12.6 (I've been told by the dealer that it cannot run High
>> Sierra, and when I tried it on an older MacBook it was a disaster).
>
> Apple states that it can run 10.13.6 (see MacTracker app)
> That one !is! able to run macOS 10.15.7 Cataina :-)
> I've got a comrade who's got the same model, and it works perfectly :-)
> http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 13-inch as well; 10.13 High Sierra worked fine on it. As I wrote in https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-users/2019-June/046866.html I have been using dosdude1's patchers to run 10.14 Mojave and now 10.15 Catalina, and would recommend it for those sufficiently adventurous. The battery needed to be removed, and since I haven't replaced it, the CPU is underclocked to about 0.8GHz; but since I have 16GB RAM and an SSD installed, it rarely feels slow. (I probably won't be trying 11.x Big Sur on it, as more things like accelerated graphics do not work.)

Christopher A. Chavez