XQuartz and xorg-server

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 17 05:44:47 UTC 2021

On Jan 16, 2021, at 08:18, Peter West wrote:

> Following some general advice given earlier on the list, I had removed XQuartz and installed xorg-server. Now I am trying to load the rgl R library. At the end of the error message is
> This build of rgl depends on XQuartz, which you can download from xquartz.org.
>
> Am  stuck with using XQuartz if I want to run this package, or is it possible to switch between the two?

XQuartz and xorg-server are the same software, except that xorg-server is several years more up to date. There would be no advantage to installing XQuartz instead of xorg-server.

If the rgl R library is something you are installing outside of MacPorts, then perhaps it is looking specifically for XQuartz in its install location of /opt/X11. You may need to inform it that you have installed it to the MacPorts prefix /opt/local instead.