XQuartz and xorg-server

Peter West lists at pbw.id.au
Sat Jan 23 01:27:22 UTC 2021

R is in general a self-contained universe, as far as I can see. There is a mountain of packages that can be installed in the base system. In CRAN, packages are generally compiled into PIC code, or so the site says, but new versions of packages are often built from the R console, using the build environment assumed by R.app. Building R.app on your own involves Xcode and whatever libraries you want supported. CRAN provides a page full of compiled libraries which install into /usr/local for use in local R builds.

I assume all of these issues have been resolved for CPAN for perl and associated packages, but many R packages require compilation. Is that problem similar for CPAN?

Anyway, at the moment, I’ve gone back to the CRAN distributed R.app and XQuartz to try to build the package I want, within the distributed R environment.

Incidentally, there are alpha releases of XQuartz 2.8.0, being prepared by a bloke with an Apple email address. That’s interesting.

Peter

--
Peter West
pbw at pbw.id.au
And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.”